We provide speech and occupational therapy in a multi-disciplinary clinic to individuals right across the age spectrum, including children, adolescents, adults, and the elderly.
Many parents come to us because they are looking for fresh, innovative ways to treat their child, having already tried working with other professionals.
We understand the unique challenges children face with communication, and with vast experience, and continual focus on paediatrics, we provide treatments for a number of common challenges including:
- Expressive and receptive language (understanding language and expressing thoughts with words)
- Speech articulation (pronunciation). Some common issues we come across include sound substitution e.g. ‘t’ for ‘k’ or ‘f’ for ‘th’
- Social skills including poor eye contact
- Listening and auditory processing
- Understanding instructions or concepts
- Staying on the same topic in conversation
- Turn- taking in a conversation
- The completion of standardised assessments.
If your child is having difficulties in the following developmental areas, then we can help! Our occupational therapists have identified these areas as common challenges for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder:
- Sensory processing
- Self regulation
- Fine, gross and visual motor skills
- Motor planning and coordination
- Social and emotional development
- Visual perceptual skills
- School readiness skills
- Attention and concentration
What are the different approaches?
Picture Exchange Communication by Pyramid Education- which teaches the child to make requests and communicate by focusing on their visual strengths.
Focuses on helping children master the building blocks of relaxing, communicating and thinking, rather than symptoms of ASD alone.
The Developmental Individual Difference, Relationship -based (DIR/floortime) Model is a developmental and interdisciplinary framework that helps clinicians, parents and educators conduct an intervention program tailored to the unique challenges and strengths of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
We also provide a number of services to adults, especially within the aged care setting. Our speech pathologists service many aged care facilities in our community and are able to see adult clients in our clinic. Our team provides treatment for issues such as:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Dysphagia included comprehensive swallow assessments
- Parkinson’s disease
- Stuttering and rehabilitation from injuries including strokes
Our therapists can provide assessments specific to your needs as well as make recommendations to assist. Our Speech Pathologists are trained to provide speech, language, communication, literacy and swallowing assessments. Our Occupational Therapist also provide functional capacity and behavioural assessments.
Have any question in mind?
Drop us a line
How does Talking In Steps work?
Talking in Steps works with families, schools, and other organisations. We understand the unique challenges you face and know our 20 years experience will be able to assist you with a blend of guidance, therapy and solutions.
Our team of energetic, enthusiastic, speech and occupational pathologists are committed to providing an excellent level of care, wisdom and understanding for all our clients.
We believe in carefully designed therapeutic activities to treat the challenges our clients are facing, while involving and coaching the necessary support networks around them.
What is your vision?
To provide high quality evidence based assessment and therapy for children, adolescents and adults with autism.
- To create a team approach tailored to the needs of the client.
- To continually update the clinic with the latest resources to assist our clients.
- To meet regularly with team members to discuss goals and strategies to best meet the needs of our clients.
How experienced are you?
We have 20 years experience in this sector. Talking in Steps was founded in 2000 with the vision to provide the best possible support to individuals.